My name is Andreas Schmidt. I am a 3rd semester master student of Computer Science at Saarland University. In addition to that I am a Software Developer and dedicate some spare time to voluntary work at Deutsche Lebens-Rettungs-Gesellschaft (DLRG). Finally, I also enjoy dancing, reading and listening to all kinds of music.
- OpenFlow at Saarland University (Software Defined Networking Research)
- Position-Portal (Customer Portal for Monitoring and Measurement Visualization)
- SDN-Visualization (Software Defined Networks Monitoring Application)
- AVSuite (Factory Monitoring Web Application as part of SINNODIUM)
- DLRG OG Kirkel (Administration, Editorial)
- DLRG Bezirk Homburg (Administration, Editorial)
- Wäller vom Wibbelstätzje (Consulting, Support)
- A. Schmidt, "Interactive Visualization of Software Defined Networks", Bachelor Thesis, December 2013
Archive (some projects I passed to others and those that are no longer online)
- 2013 - 2014: Capsulator (Traffic Multiplexer Web Interface)
- 2012 - 2014: MenSaar (Saarland University Mensa App for WP7)
- 2008 - 2014: Plan Aktionsgruppe Saarbrücken (NPO, that raises money for charity projects)
- Winter 2013: MathOverflow (curve plotting tool)
- 2010 - 2013: DLRG OG Homburg (administration, editorial)
- 2008 - 2010: Saarpfalz-Gymnasium (my former secondary school)
- 2007 - 2010: SPG Informatik (the faculty of computer science at my secondary school)
- 2006 - 2008: Wäller vom Bärenbrunnerhof (website for a dog breeder)
- 05/2013 - now: Research Assistant at the Telecommuncations Lab (Saarland University)
- 07/2010 - now: Freelance work for Position-Control GmbH
- 10/2013 - 03/2014: Teaching Assistant at the Telecommuncations Lab (Saarland University)
- 10/2010 - 06/2011: Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr as a first-aid instructor for Malteser Hilfsdienst
- 01/2008: Industrial placement at SPS Computers
During my studies I did a bit of C (network and embedded code), Java (programming / software-engineering lectures, custom skeleton database) and MATLAB (signal processing and digital transmission). Lately I use a lot of Python and enjoy coding that is easy and high-level, without losing flexibility at the same time.
My setup consist purely of Windows systems, which is why people often laughed at me. Fortunately, I do not care much and use Linux whenever required, thanks to Vagrant.
If you want to learn more, please check out the projects above.
Here is an abridged list of the textbooks I read over the last few years. I enjoyed reading them very much, so I recommend them wholeheartedly. The list is ever growing and updated from time to time. (alphabetical order)
Since December 2004 I am a member of DLRG and since January 2010 I am part of the Malteser Hilfsdienst. From 2004 to 2009 I did all lifesaving badges and the snorkel diving badge. In 2007 I took part in a paramedic training. Now I am giving courses in swimming and lifeguard, and I am regularly attending advanced courses and seminars.
From 2010 on, I have spent about five weekends a year at local lakes and water-related events. In 2011 I was in Borkum for one week and took part in ZWRD-K. I completed my Fachausbildung Wasserrettungsdienst in mid 2012 and in September 2012 I passed the coxswain examination.
Back in 2010 I started to teach lifeguarding and swimming to youths, so I am used to organise and conduct one course per season. Since January 2015, I hold the Lehrschein. In addition to that I give occasional first-aid courses that are associated with the examinations for lifesaving badges and mandatory for our active lifeguards. This is the complete (and growing) list:
- April 2015: First-Aid course for our active lifeguards
- Season 2014/15: Trainer for Seepferdchen; Assistant for DRSA Silber/Gold
- Season 2013/14: Trainer for Seepferdchen
- March 2013: First-Aid course for our active lifeguards
- Season 2012/13: Trainer for Seepferdchen
- May 2012: First-Aid course for lifesaving badges
- March 2012: First-Aid course for our active lifeguards
- Season 2011/12: Trainer for DJSA Gold; Assistant for Schnorcheltauchabzeichen
- April 2011: First-Aid course debut
- Season 2010/11: Assistant for DJSA Gold
Furthermore, I occasionally give first-aid courses for companys and institutions on behalf of the Malteser Hilfsdienst. I hold an instructor license since 2010 and give 2-3 courses per year.